image of campervan in a field with company logo in background. used as page heading image.


Campervan Hire for everyone

Frequently Asked Questions

The following frequently asked questions may assist you when deciding to book one of our Campervans, but if you have any other questions then please contact us to ask them


How do I book?

First things first : We are unable to accept walk in or short notice bookings (less then 96 hours) and we advise booking at least a week in advance so that we can process all your paperwork in time.

Please check the availability of the campervan first to ensure we are able to accommodate your request : availability Page

Then make sure that your party size is suitable for your campervan of choice
   Honey can sleep 2 adults
   Moneypenny can sleep 2 adults and 2 children under 10
   Poppy can sleep 2 adults and 2 children under 10
   Sunny can sleep 4 adults

Once you have decided on dates and a Campervan, fill in the enquiry form and we will then send you a booking form to complete.


What are the dimensions of our VW Campervans

The Length (Bumper to Bumper) of our vans is 450 cm
The width of our vans is 172cm
The Height of our vans is either 194cm (Sunny) or 220cm (all of the others with their pop tops down)

VW Campervan Dimensions

^return to top of page


What fuel do our VW Campervans use?

Our classic Air-Cooled VW Campervans all run on "Super" Unleaded Petrol.

When filling up please ensure that you do not use E10 petrol (available from September 2021) as this makes the Campervans run badly and the safest option to ensure you have a reliable journey is to use produces marked as "Super" unleaded.

^return to top of page


How far will a full tank get me?

Our classic Air-Cooled VW Campervans have a fuel tank capacity of around 60 liters (13 Gallons old money)

Driven normally, they should provide you with around 25 MPG (1oo Km per 11 Ltrs) which gives a maximum of around 325 Miles or 540Km however this is an estimate and doesn't account for driving in towns or up and down hills.

^return to top of page


What are the Collection and return Times?

Collection is normally 2:30pm onwards, we can make exceptions based on availability and upon request for a small fee

Return is normally before 12 noon on the last day of hire, we can make exceptions based on availability and upon request for a small fee

For Glastonbury we offer slightly different times, please enquire when booking

^return to top of page


Can I pickup or drop off on a Saturday or Sunday?

We are open from 10am until 5pm Monday to Friday and closed at weekends.

By exception and for a small fee we can open for collection or return on a Saturday or Sunday, however this is only possible if requested in advance and subject to our agreement.

^return to top of page


Is there a minimum hire period?

We have a minimum hire period of 3 nights, for example Friday afternoon until Monday Morning.

We don't do day hire due to the administration required, however if you want to hire for a commercial event including a driver please contact us to discuss your requirements.

^return to top of page


What is included in the price?

  • Insurance for the first named driver (subject to terms and conditions)
  • A Full tank of petrol, but we ask that you also return the van with the same amount of petrol
  • A Bluetooth enabled CD player with iPod connection and the ability to play media from a USB stick
  • a roll up table and chairs
  • A built in 2 ring gas cooker with grill
  • Cutlery and Crockery (okay Melamine plates and cups)
  • Frying pan, 2 saucepans, cooking utensils
  • Discounted members rates at the Camping and Caravanning sites across the UK
  • Full RAC cover which we hope you won’t need to use
  • Electric hook ups so you can use your hair dryer (dependent on camp site facilities)
  • Most important of all a whistling kettle to make that all important cup of tea when you get there.

^return to top of page


What are the optional extras?

  • Camp Beds (each) £20
  • Cycle Rack for 2 cycles £20

^return to top of page


How can I pay?

Payment can be made by BACS transfer or via credit and debit card over the phone. We do not accept American Express

The security deposit required when you hire the van of your choice is taken as a pre-authorised payment for the period that you have possession of the campervan, this must be on a Credit or Debit card and will only be authorised should there be a problem during the hire period as per our terms and conditions.

For rentals over 7 days we will physically take the security deposit payment which will be returned at the end of the rental period.

^return to top of page


What deposit is required?

A non refundable booking deposit of £150 is required when you make your booking

Upon collection of your campervan, we will also require a security deposit of £750 which will need to be on a Credit or Debit card

^return to top of page


Can we take your Campervans abroad?

Due to the issues involved in insuring and arranging breakdown cover, the answer to this question is No.

If you wish to go abroad then please contact us and we will put you in touch with hire companies in France that may be able to assist.

You can take the Campervans anywhere in the United Kingdom, with the exception of Scotland and Northern Ireland, and subject to our mileage limit (see below.)

^return to top of page


Is there a mileage limit?

Our campers are all around 50 years old, and whilst we endeavor to maintain them to the highest standards possible, we do have a mileage limit on all hires to help keep them running.

Weekends and mid-week hires: 350 Miles, this will allow for travel in the many beautiful areas including Norfolk, Oxford shire, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, and Kent.

7 day hires: 650 miles, this will also allow you to travel to Wales, Devon and Cornwall.

Please also remember that whilst Cornwall and Wales are beautiful places to visit, the roads there can burn hours of travel time reducing time for your holiday.

^return to top of page


Why can´t I drive to Scotland?

Classic Campervans have air-cooled engines which need to be driven in a different way to modern cars.

They are limited to a top speed of 60mph and require regular and frequent stops to allow the engines to cool down, which changes what would normally be a 12 hour drive in a modern car to a 20 plus hour drive.

Whilst most of out hirers accept the limitations of a classic campervan we have, in the past, had people trying to get to Scotland in under 10 hours which resulted in the engine overheating and the client being charged for the damage.

To prevent this from happening on your trip we have now added a mileage limit and removed Scotland from the places available to visit.

^return to top of page


What identification is required?

We require the following forms of identification to be presented when collecting your campervan

Your full photo card or original paper licence (the paper counter part of your licence is now obsolete)
In addition we will also need two proofs of your address that is less than 3 months old in the form of the following

Primary Proof of Address (at least one of the following types of bill or statement)

  • Electricity
  • Water
  • Gas
  • Broadband/Landline
  • Council tax
  • TV licence
  • Bank Statement
  • Credit card bill / statement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Polling card
  • HMRC self-assessment / tax credit

Secondary Proof of address (if you can only provide one of the above)

  • Student loan
  • Shotgun licence
  • Payslip
  • Mobile Phone Bills
  • Pension letters
  • Car Finance Statement
  • Loan Statement
  • Property deed

In addition for drivers with non UK licenses or where you reside outside of the UK then we will also need to see your current and valid passport
For Non EU licence holders you will also need to provide us with details of your international driving permit

^return to top of page


Can additional drivers be added?

We can add an additional 2 drivers to the policy for a daily fee, this will be advised at the time of booking and we we will need to see the same proof of address for each additional driver when collecting the campervan

^return to top of page


I have points / convictions on my licence or I have made an insurance claim can I still be insured?

Our insurance company is normally quite understanding of points for speeding or similar, however they won't insure you if you have been convicted of dangerous driving, or if you have been convicted for driving under the influence of Alcohol or Drugs

The are also fairly understanding if you have made a claim in the last three years, however they may refuse you if you have made more than one claim in three years

In all cases please feel free to discuss it with us and we can make enquiries with the insurance company when you make your booking.

^return to top of page


What are the Campervans like to drive?

All of our Campervans are as they were designed back in the 1970's.

They don't have power assisted steering (something you only notice when parallel parking) nor do they have ABS on their brakes which means you just have to give a slightly longer gap between you and the vehicle in front, especially in the wet or when going down hill.

They have a 1600cc engine, which is more than sufficient unless you on a steep hill where you will need to change down gears to get you up the hill

We have fitted limiters on the engines to restrict the top engine speed to around 60mph (not that you will want to go faster than that) and they are all manual drive (sorry no automatics)

When planning your trip, due to their top speeds being lower than a modern car, we recommend you add 50% to any time estimate provided by navigation tools or websites. We also require you to take a minimum of 15 minutes break every three hours to allow you and the campervan time to relax.

Saying that they are fun to drive and they are no longer than an average saloon car so you won't have a problem driving them, they do turn heads, people like to smile and wave at you when you are driving them and we advise you wave back to get into the Campervan vibe.

We do notice that other drivers are generally friendly towards you when you drive a campervan and quite often you get let out at junctions. Other Campervan drivers will wave and toot you when you pass and you will soon be doing the same.

Most of all lean back, get into a slower pace of life (they aren't built for speed) and enjoy the experience

^return to top of page


Congestion Charge and ULEZ

London Congestion Charge - As the hirer, you will be responsible for paying the Congestion Charge.

London ULEZ - The Campervans are exempt from the London Ultra Low Emission Charge as they are Historic Vehicles.

Road Tolls / Bridge Tolls - As the hirer, you are responsible for all tolls that you incur.

Outside of London - Please check with the town or city that you are entering to see what rules apply for Historic Vehicles.

^return to top of page


Can I tow?

The simple answer to this question is no, we haven't fitted towing bars to the Campervans and if we find you have been towing whilst in possession of the campervan you will forfeit all of your security deposit and also be liable for any damage caused to the campervan, it's engine, transmission or suspension as a result.

^return to top of page


can I take a pet with me?

Of course, well behaved pets are welcome. We do charge an additional £30 fee to cover the extra cleaning afterwards to ensure that the next renter doesn't suffer any pet hair related allergic reaction

^return to top of page


How do I get to the office?

The nearest train stations to the office are East Dulwich serving London Bridge to Epsom, Beckenham Junction (via Crystal Palace) and West Croydon (via Norbury)
and Peckham Rye serving London Bridge, Victoria, Blackfriars (Thameslink), St Pancras / Kings Cross (Thameslink), Sevenoaks (via Swanley), Dartford (via Bexleyheath), Clapham Junction (overground) and Highbury & Islington (overground)

We are served by a number of nearby buses (12, 40, 63, 185, 197, 363, 484, P13)

We are based in a residential area with on street parking available (no Control Parking Zone) and cars may be left at your own risk in the surrounding streets.

^return to top of page


Do I need to take out holiday insurance?

We strongly recommended that you take out the highest level of private holiday/travel/personal possessions insurance in case of any medical or unforeseen event that might impact on your holiday. . Please make sure that you arrange adequate travel insurance to cover you if you have to cancel or cut short your holiday or are forced to change your plans due to an incident.

Unfortunately booking deposits are non-refundable and we cannot reimburse you if your holiday is curtailed. If you have paid in full and cancel prior to departure please contact us immediately, part refunds may be available subject to the length of notice given.

^return to top of page


What happens if I breakdown?

All Campervans have full RAC breakdown cover. Full instructions of what to do in the event of a breakdown will be provided for you when you collect your campervan. There is also a good 'breakdown' kit on board to enable the RAC to get you on the move again as quickly as possible. Should the Campervan be unrepairable then we would ask that it is transported back to the office where we will endeavor to provide you with an alternative campervan to complete your holiday or refund you for any unused full days of the trip if we haven't got a spare campervan available.

We advise you to take out the highest level of holiday insurance in the event of any unforeseen circumstances that could affect your holiday.

Fees may apply for call outs for human error, for example filling with the wrong fuel, being Locked out, lights left on, use outside of contracted area of use, or damage caused by negligence. Fees for excess towing and recovery may also apply at our discretion.

^return to top of page


Can I use a child seat in the campervan?

Yes, although the Campervans aren't set up to use ISOFIX car seats. We recommend contacting us first to check the layout of the seatbelts in the campervan and to also arrange to try the child seat in the campervan in advance of your holiday.

^return to top of page


What about Security?

Thankfully crime is relatively low in most campsites but we do advise taking reasonable precautions are taken to ensure you have a safe and trouble free trip.

Please lock the vehicle at all times and keep valuables out of sight - particularly portable satellite navigation systems. All vehicles are fitted with a Thatcham Category 1 security system which must be enabled when you leave the vehicle. In addition we provide a steering arm lock that we recommend fitting as soon as you park the campervan.

we strongly advise you to keep personal items of value with you at all times or store them in approved campsite safes. There are no safes in our Campervans as these can attract, rather than deter, criminals.

^return to top of page


How do I make a complaint?

Hopefully you will have a trouble free trip, however we would hope that you contact us as soon as you notice a problem or issue so that we can rectify it as soon as possible

We can only rectify things that we are aware off and it is always best telling us first hand rather than putting a negative comment up on a review website as we can normally resolve most problems whereas the review websites can't

If you do have reason to complain about our service or the campervan then we aims to resolve complaints within 28 days of receipt. Complaints must be made in writing to:

Dub Dub and Away Ltd.
Complaints team
46a Upland Road
East Dulwich
SE22 9EF

Complaints will only be handled if received within 28 days of the hire period ending.

^return to top of page